****We won the cup WTG Portsmouth******

Portsmouth lifted the FA Cup for the first time since 1939 after Kanu proved to be their hero once again in a 1-0 win over Cardiff at Wembley.
The gangly Nigerian striker scored the goal which earned Pompey a 1-0 win over West Brom in the semi-final – and he pounced after 37 minutes of Saturday’s final with the Bluebirds, stabbing home from close range after Peter Enckelman had spilled a right-wing cross from John Utaka.
Kanu also wasted the game’s other clear-cut chance on 22 when he rounded Enckelman and Glenn Loovens before hitting the upright from a tight angle.
And it was defender Loovens who went closest to an equaliser for Dave Jones’ troops, chipping the ball into the net on 45 only to see referee Mike Dean rule the goal out for a handball offence.
Robbie Fowler was not even named in Cardiff’s squad as Sulley Muntari had the first chance of the game, seeing his 30-yard deflected strike saved.
Paul Parry was denied by David James’ interception as Cardiff responded, and the England keeper blocked Parry’s shot minutes later before Kevin McNaughton saw a deflected strike trickle inches wide of the upright.
Muntari then set up Kanu on 22 minutes but he lost his composure after brilliantly beating Loovens and Enckelman, sidefooting a left-footed shot against the upright with the goal at his mercy.
Peter Whittingham’s free-kick found Roger Johnson as Cardiff more than held their own, but his header flew inches over the crossbar with James beaten.
Kanu then found the net from four yards out after Utaka’s cross was spilled, and Pompey took their narrow lead into the interval.
After the break, Lassana Diarra’s charging run set up Kanu, whose goalbound shot was deflected for a corner by Loovens on 53.
Muntari let fly from 30 yards but his thunderbolt rose just over the bar, and sub David Nugent stung Enckelman’s hands with an angled 18-yard drive on 71.
Jones sent on Steve Thompson for Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink but it was Joe Ledley who went closest, firing a 25-yard effort over the crossbar.
Kanu was replaced by Milan Baros on 87, leaving the pitch to a standing ovation. And the Pompey fans were cheering once again at the final whistle, as they celebrated Wembley glory and securing a UEFA Cup place.

Report taken from www.sportinglife.com

Journal Comments