Built by the guild of Cutlers in 1390, this magnificent building is the centrepiece of the chocolate box village of Thaxted. Used as the head quarters of the guild, the open plan ground floor was designed as meeting and trading point for the village, whilst the upstairs provided private office and residential space for the warden. In 1556 the decline of the cutlery industry in the area saw the guildhall sold and fall into disrepair. In the seventeenth Century the building was used as the local grammar school, and continued until 1878 in this role. The twentieth Century saw the building bought by Essex County Council and has since housed the parish council and primarily been used for local community events, fetes, antiques fairs and craft exhibitions.