Athenaeum • Melbourne • Australia

William Bullimore

Brisbane, Australia

  • Available
    Products
    12
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 45

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

From Wikipedia

The Athenaeum or Melbourne Athenaeum is one of the oldest public institutions in Victoria, Australia, founded in 1839. The first President was Captain William Lonsdale, the first Patron was the Superintendent of Port Philip, Charles La Trobe and the first books were donated by Vice-President Henry Fyshe Gisborne. Originally it was called the Melbourne Mechanics’ Institute. This was expanded in 1846 to the Melbourne Mechanics’ Institution and School of Arts. The building on Collins Street was completed in 1842. The Athenaeum played a role in the establishment of Mechanics’ Institutes in Victoria.

The Melbourne City Council met in the building until 1852 when the Melbourne Town Hall was built.

The Institution changed its name to the Melbourne Athenaeum in 1873. At that time, as now, a major activity was a library. In 1877, membership was 1681 and in 1879 there were 30,000 visits to the library. In 1880 it was reported ‘that the floor of the large hall was the only one in Melbourne expressly constructed for dancing’. The front of the building was rebuilt in 1885 and 1886.

In October, 1896, the first movie was shown in Australia in the Athanaeum Hall. The Hall became a regular venue for screening films and the premier of The Story of the Kelly Gang by the Tait brothers was at the Athenaeum in 1906. The theatre in its present form was created in 1921. The theatre was the first venue in Australia to screen talking pictures. The Melbourne Theatre Company leased the theatre from 1976 to 1985 when the lease was taken over by various entrepreneurs who formed AT Management in 1997.

The Athenaeum housed a small museum in its early days and then an Art Gallery, which closed in 1971, after which it was converted into a smaller theatre space by the MTC. This space, as of 1997 is now home to the Comedy Club and, in the last few years, Melbourne Opera.

The library continues to exist as a large subscription library with members throughout Victoria, although its membership has declined from a peak of 7,579 in 1950.

The building was added to the Register of Historic Buildings in 1981 and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.

It has been used as a venue for the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and since 2006 has been the venue for the Last Laugh Comedy Club since it moved from North Melbourne.

Details:
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mk II
Lens: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Exposure: 5 exposures (-2,-1,0,1,2 EV)
Aperture: f/11
Focal Length: 24mm
ISO Speed: 100
Accessories: Manfrotto 190XB Tripod, Manfrotto 322RC2 Heavy Duty Grip Ball Head, Canon RC1 Wireless Remote
Date and Time: 22 November 2010 12.48pm

Post Processing:
Imported into Lightroom
Exported to Photomatix
Tonemap generated HDR using detail enhancer option
Exported tonemapped image to CS5
Curves layer for contrast adjustment
Hue/Saturation layer
Noise reduction layer
Unsharp mask filter
Crop tool
Re-imported back into Lightroom
Added keyword metadata
Exported as JPEG

Artwork Comments

  • Jadon
  • William Bullimore
  • RickGeorge
  • William Bullimore
  • Gary Kelly
  • William Bullimore
  • 1stImpressions
  • William Bullimore
  • Georgie Hart
  • William Bullimore
  • Fred Mitchell
  • William Bullimore
  • Polly x
  • Ian Stevenson
  • William Bullimore
  • kathy s gillentine
  • William Bullimore
  • CaitlinD
  • William Bullimore
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.