This is Leamanagh Castle between Corofin and Kilfenora , County Clare, Ireland.

  • Available
    Products
    6
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 1

Wall Art

Stationery

Artist's Description

The castle was originally a basic, multi-storied Irish tower house which was built circa 1480, probably by Turlogh Donn, one of the last of the High Kings of Ireland and a direct descendant of Brian Boru. The castle’s name "Leamaneh" is believed to be derived from the gaelic "léim an éich" which, when translated into English means "the horse’s leap".

The tower was surrendered to Henry VIII in 1548 AD by Turlogh Donn’s son, Murrough, who was subsequently created 1st Earl of Thomond and Baron Inchiquin (the O’Briens having surrendered their Royal status to the English Crown).

The manor house was erected in 1648 by Conor O’Brien and his wife, Máire ní Mahon, one of the most infamous women in Irish folklore who, due to her flaming red hair, was commonly known as "Máire Rúa" (Red Mary). Conor, was another member of the large O’Brien family which had ruled much of Clare for several hundred years. She born in 1615 or 1616. Her father was Sir Torlach Rúa MacMahon, Lord of Clonderlaw and her mother was Lady Mary O’Brien, daughter of the third Earl of Thomond. Her first husband, Daniel O’Neylan (also written O’Neillan) of Dysert O’Dea Castle in north Clare died young and upon his death, she gained control of his substantial estate and a £1,000 fortune. This wealth enabled her and Conor to build a more comfortable mansion on to the tower house. It was, without doubt, Clare’s most magnificent seventeenth century house. The multi-gabled manor house was very modern for its time.

In 1651 Conor was killed in battle against the Cromwellians. His widow realized that the punishment for his rebellion against the English would be the forfeiture of their property. Therefore, in a desperate attempt to retain her lands and estates, she offered to marry any Cromwellian officer who would take her hand. (This is refuted in other versions of the story which state that Máire Rúa didn’t marry until 1653, two years after Conor’s death.)

Her third husband, Cornet John Cooper was a Cromwellian soldier and through this marriage Máire Rúa successfully retained her estates. Cooper left the army and amassed some wealth through land and property speculation. However, he later ran into financial difficulty and, as a result, Leamaneh was mortgaged.

Máire Rúa’s son, Donagh (later Sir Donagh) was the last of the O’Brien’s to occupy the house. He subsequently moved the family seat from Leamaneh to the much-larger Dromoland Castle in Newmarket-On-Fergus, south of Ennis where his mother spent her final years. Although Máire Rúa’s children from her first marriage to Daniel O’Neylan (or O’Neillan) were raised Catholic, he was brought up as a Protestant and eventually became the "richest commoner in Ireland."

Kilnaboy is a small village and parish in County Clare, Ireland. It is situated in The Burren, an area rich in heritage and natural beauty and Mullaghmore mountain is close by. There are over 300 national monuments in this parish alone with Lemenagh Castle and Cahercommaun stone fort, two of the most prominent

Kilnaboy is also home to the house that features as "Craggey Island Parochial House" in the hit irish comedy series Father Ted Famous People Kilnaboy is home to the Current Government Minister Tony Killeen. Declan Kelleher is currently President of I.N.T.O. In sport Michael Sonnie Murphy was an Olympic athlete who represented Ireland at the 1932 summer games. He was also the holder of many National records and titles. Seamus Clancy is the first Clare footballer to win an All-Star award which was achieved in 1992. Clare won the Munster football championship that year and Seamus brother Colm was a member of the team and their father Donal was a member of the management. The man who stole the crown jewels of England from the Tower of London in 1671 was a man with strong Kilnaboy links. Thomas Blood had a grandfather who lived at Kilnaboy castle and it is possible that Blood may have been born here.

An interesting medieval church of 16th century, repaired in 1715. The Church has a number of interesting features including a Sheela-na-gig (medieval fertility symbol) over the door and a cross on the church gable.

The Burren (Irish: Boireann, meaning "great rock", Boirinn is the modern form used by the Ordnance Survey) is a karst-landscape region in northwest County Clare, in Ireland. It is one of the largest karst landscapes in Europe. The region measures approximately 250 square kilometres and is enclosed roughly within the circle made by the villages Ballyvaughan, Kinvara, Tubber, Corofin, Kilfenora and Lisdoonvarna. It is bounded by the Atlantic and Galway Bay on the west and north, respectively.

A small portion of the Burren has been designated as Burren National Park. It is one of only six national parks in the Republic of Ireland and the smallest in size (15 km²).

The definite article (making it "the Burren") has only been added to the name in the last few decades, possibly by academics, as it had always been called Boireann in Irish and Burren

Artwork Comments

  • JayneLogan
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.