Room with a view for 20 convicts

Photographic Prints


Hobart, Australia

  • Product
  • Product
  • Available
  • Artist
  • Artwork Comments 65

Sizing Information

Small 11.0" x 8.0"
Medium 16.4" x 12.0"
Large 22.0" x 16.0"
X large 27.4" x 20.0"


  • Superior quality silver halide prints
  • Archival quality Kodak Endura paper
  • Lustre: Professional photo paper with a fine grain pebble texture
  • Metallic: Glossy finish and metallic appearance to create images with exceptional visual interest and depth


Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor



Artist's Description

Taken with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH1 point & shoot.

306 views as at 20th December 2011.

Featured 11/01/11 in Beach, River and Lake Treasures Group

Featured 2010 in Historic Places Group

Featured 06/05/11 in Islands, Islands, Islands Group

Featured in Weekly Theme Challenges Group on 08/20/13

Challenge Winner in Preserving History Challenge 01/01/12

Runner Up in Unique Buildings of the World Challenge

The Highfield Historic Site near Stanley, at Circular Head, represents an important part of Tasmania’s historic heritage. In 1982 the Tasmanian Government acquired the Highfield property with funds from the National Estate.

In 1825, the Van Diemen’s Land Company (formed in England) was granted the rights by Royal Charter, under King George IV, to a huge tract of unsettled land, beyond the ramparts of the unknown.The company was to breed fine wool on a large scale for England. Circular Head was ultimately chosen as the centre of operations.
Stud livestock, implements, craftsmen and indentured labourers from England (along with convicts assigned from Hobart) arrived in October 1826.
Under Edward Curr as chief agent, the Company explored, surveyed and developed the northwest.

The construction of the present ‘Highfield’, thought to be designed by Henry Hellyer for Edward Curr as his new home, commenced in May 1832. Later additions to Highfield were designed by John Lee Archer, an important Tasmanian colonial architect, and built during 1844 – 1845. Convict barracks, barns, stables, chapel and large ornamental gardens were features of the estate.

This is the Northern side of the ruins of the old convict barracks built from 1834 and occupied from 1836. There were 41 convicts assigned to the Circular Head establishment, half of whom were housed in these barracks.

Artwork Comments

  • Carol Knudsen
  • TonyCrehan
  • Sean Farragher
  • TonyCrehan
  • CraigsMom
  • TonyCrehan
  • sarnia2
  • TonyCrehan
  • AndreaEL
  • TonyCrehan
  • Taffmeister
  • TonyCrehan
  • Joy Watson
  • TonyCrehan
  • mikebov
  • TonyCrehan
  • CraigsMom
  • TonyCrehan
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.