The Bass Rock, or simply The Bass, is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. It is approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) offshore, and 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north-east of North Berwick. It is a steep-sided volcanic plug of phonolitic trachyte rock of Carboniferous (Dinantian) age, 107 metres (351 ft) at its highest point, and is home to a large colony of Northern Gannets, (also known as “Solan Goose”), Morus Bassanus. The rock is currently uninhabited, but historically was the site of an important castle, which was, after the Commonwealth, used as a prison. The island was in the ownership of the Lauder family for almost six centuries, and has been privately owned by the Hamilton-Dalrymple family for the last 300 years. A Lighthouse was constructed on the rock in 1902, and the remains of a chapel are located there.
The island plays host to more than 150,000 Gannets and is the largest single rock Gannetry in the world, described famously by Sir David Attenborough as “one of the wildlife wonders of the world”.
Camera: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: Sigma 18-200mm
Three bracketed RAWs Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.2.
BEST VIEWED LARGER