Taken from a Ferry on the way out of Rhodes Harbour on the beautiful Greek Island of Rhodes.
The Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes (on the left) was built in the 14th century by the Knights of Rhodes (now officially known as the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes, and of Malta), who occupied Rhodes from 1309 to 1522. After the island was captured by the Ottoman Empire, the palace was used as a fortress.
The original palace was largely destroyed by an ammunition explosion in 1856. When the Kingdom of Italy occupied Rhodes in 1912, the Italians rebuilt the palace in a grandiose pseudo-medieval style as a holiday residence for Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, and later for Benito Mussolini, whose name can still be seen on a large plaque near the entrance.
On the long breakwater at the front at Mandraki Harbour (the main harbour of Rhodes for almost 2,500 years) stand the three medieval windmills which ground the grain unloaded from merchant vessels in the harbour.
Rhodes is the largest of the Dodecanese group of Greek islands.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 4.1.4.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Featured in : Your Country’s Best : 11 Feb 12