A skyline shot taken at 6:00 pm as the sun went down on 30th January 2011 in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Dominating the centre of St. Andrew Square at the east end of George Street is the 42.6m (140 feet) tall fluted column of the Melville Monument, commemorating Henry Dundas, the first viscount Melville. The statue at the top is the work of Francis Chantrey (1781-1841) and Robert Forrest (1790 – 1852). It was hoisted into position in 1828. The Melville Monument is surrounded by the beautiful St. Andrew Square Gardens.
On the right of the shot, located on George Street, is the spire of St Andrew’s & St George’s Church (formerly St Andrew’s church). St Andrew’s & St George’s was the first centre of Christian worship in Edinburgh New Town. The church was founded in 1781 and opened in 1784. The spire was added in 1787.
St Andrew’s & St George’s church is an Historic Scotland, Category A Listed building (No 27283).
West Register House is an Historic Scotland Category A Listed building (No 27360).
The Old and New Towns of Edinburgh are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Camera: Canon Digital IXUS 980 IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Related shots can be found at: Edinburgh.