St Mary’s church in the town of Barnard Castle in Teesdale, County Durham, England is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, and owes its foundation to Bernard de Bailliol who built the castle (1112 – 1132) and from whom the town derives its name.
Originally a daughter church of the parish of Gainford, Barnard Castle was in the gift of St. Mary’s Abbey at York until after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539.
Trinity College, Cambridge, then became the patrons and have appointed the incumbents ever since. In 1866 Barnard Castle became a seperate parish with its own vicar, instead of a Perpetual Curate of Gainford.
A great benefactor of the church was Richard, Duke of Gloucester (later Richard III) who was lord of Barnard Castle from 1477 – 1485.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Lens: Canon 18-55mm IS
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Two RAW images individually Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro then Photomerged in Photoshop Elements 8.