The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saint Andrew (St Andrew’s Cathedral) is a Roman Catholic Cathedral in the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland. It is the pro Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and mother church of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and seat of the Archbishop of Glasgow. The cathedral, which was built in the Neo Gothic style, lies on the north bank of the River Clyde in Clyde Street. It is recognised as Glasgow’s first major piece of Gothic revivalism.
From the Reformation of 1560 until the late 1600s, Roman Catholic worship in Glasgow had to be covert (by law Roman Catholic places of worship were only permitted from 1778). By the end of the 18th century, particularly with the influx of Irish immigrants to Glasgow, there soon became a need for a Roman Catholic church in the city. Completed in 1817, and designed by James Gillespie Graham (1776–1855), the church re-introduced the Roman Catholic presence to Glasgow. In 1805 there were approximately only 450 Catholics in the city, but by the time the church was completed there were more than 3,000. The hostility to the Roman Catholic Church was evident during the construction of the cathedral: work completed during the day was torn down by locals at night, delaying completion and eventually guards had to be placed on the building site to protect the construction works. However, congregations of other Christian denominations in the city donated money for the completion of the project in a gesture of ecumenism in light of the difficulties faced in construction.
The building was raised to the status of cathedral in 1889.
Single RAW image Tonemapped in Photomatix Pro 3.2.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
Sigma 18-200mm lens
Exif data from the JPG
Focal length 24 mm
BEST VIEWED LARGER