Pittencrieff Park or “The Glen” as it is more commonly known as by the locals in Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland extends to 76 acres of grass areas, landscaping, statues, ponds, rockeries, nature walks, dog exercise area, play areas, historic areas, and was given in trust by Andrew Carnegie (the Dunfermline-born American industrialist, businessman, and major philanthropist) to the people of his birthplace.
Before Carnegie purchased the park in 1902, Pittencrieff Park formed the estate and grounds of the house, owned by the Lairds of Pittencrieff. The Park can be entered from several entrances, the most impressive being the Louise Carnegie Gates at the bottom of Dunfermline High Street. Named after Andrew Carnegie’s wife, the gates were erected in 1929 and were refurbished in 2000. Other entrances are from Pittencrieff Street, Nethertown Broad Street, St Catherine’s Wynd as well as Moodie Street and St Margaret’s Street both of which lead to the scenic walk along the Tower Burn in the lowest part of the Park.
Camera: Canon EOS 450D (Digital Rebel XSi in the USA)
BEST VIEWED LARGER
Three bracketed JPGs converted to HDR in Photomatix.
Related shots can be found at: Dunfermline.