The three magnificent buildings in the Piazza del Duomo in Florence, Italy.
On the left, the Battistero di San Giovanni (Baptistery of St. John) – begun in 1296 and completed in 1436.
On the right, the Campanile di Giotto (Giotto’s Bell Tower) – begun in 1334 and completed in 1359.
In the centre, the cathedral church, the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (Duomo) – begun in 1059 and completed in 1128.
The exterior walls of all three buildings are faced in alternate vertical and horizontal bands of polychrome marble from Carrara (white), Prato (green), Siena (red), Lavenza and a few other places.
BEST VIEWED LARGER