The corner of Princes Street and The Mound. The Royal Scottish Academy Building can be seen on the left. and Edinburgh Castle can be seen dominating the skyline.
Edinburgh Castle dominates the city of Edinburgh like no other castle in Scotland, and Edinburgh Castle is unequalled in the whole of the British Isles. Over one thousand years of history sit on top of the famous Edinburgh rock
You can not see The Mound from this view, the road goes off to the left.
The Mound is an artificial hill in central Edinburgh, Scotland, which connects Edinburgh’s New Town and its Old Town. It was formed by the dumping of 1,501,000 cartloads of earth excavated from the draining of the Nor’ Loch – which today forms Princes Street Gardens and the foundations of Princes Street. The Mound was officially opened in 1781. When the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was extended to Waverley in 1846, tunnels were driven under The Mound to allow access to the west.
Some of Edinburgh’s most notable buildings and institutions have their premises on The Mound, including the National Gallery of Scotland, the Royal Scottish Academy, the spires of New College, the General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland, and the elegant domed Headquarters of the Bank of Scotland.
Today The Mound is a busy, if fairly steep, thoroughfare taking traffic from Princes Street, over the Royal Mile and into the Old Town. Due to its raised elevation, the Mound commands expansive views over Princes Street and the New Town of Edinburgh and towards Calton Hill.
BEST VIEWED LARGER