The Flag of the State of South Carolina dates back to 1765 when opponents of the Stamp Act marched in protest behind a blue flag bearing three white crescents.
In 1775 Colonel William Moultrie was asked by the Revolutionary Council of Safety to design a flag for the South Carolina troops to use during the American Revolutionary War. Moutrie’s design had the blue of the militia’s uniforms and the crescent from the emblem on their caps. The palmetto tree was added in 1861 to honor Moultrie’s heroic defense of the palmetto log fort on Sullivan’s Island against the attack of the British fleet on June 28, 1776.
South Carolina’s flag was ranked as the 10th best designed state or provincial flag in North America by the North American Vexillological Association in 2001.