This is the Dan Lawson place built around 1856.He probably bought the land from his father-in-law, Peter Cable. At one point he owned a solid strip of land from the state line on the ridge behind the house, across the center of the Cove, to the top of the mountains in front.
Some of the better bladework in the Park is in this house. The inside faces of the logs were hewn smooth with an adze, and the ceiling joists were dressed and beaded with a plane. Chinks are battened inside with beveled poplar boards, and filled outside with brick and clay. It is obvious from this angle where upgrades were made
The building to the left is the smokehouse.Meat was smoked and/or salted to preserve it and stored in the smokehouse. The split rail fence usually keep animals out not in. the middle building is the granary. Granaries were fairly rare, as not much wheat was grown here.This place is located in Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountain N.P.