The little Church of Borghetto sul Mincio
On the border between two regions, Lombardia and Veneto, south of Lake Garda (Italy), Valeggio is situated on the morainic hills that overlook the Po River plain, close to two wonderful cities of art, Verona and Mantua. The valley of the Mincio River, which crosses it from north to south, is a landscape of great natural charm, and the habitat for numerous species of birds.
Here, the economy is closely linked to the territory and is based on agriculture, a deep-rooted tradition and an increasing industrial activity, which has hampered the consolidation in recent decades, of a popular tourist destination.
Classified as “City of Art” for its artistic heritage, Valeggio sul Mincio can offer much to those who want to spend a holiday of culture, nature and gastronomy.
The Borghetto (Hamlet) is just a handful of houses, an ancient village of mills in complete harmony with its river. A river idyll, with the three old mills that seem to rise from the water. The landscape is dominated by the Visconteo Bridge. An extraordinary fortified dam built in 1393 by the order of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, in order to ensure the impenetrability of the eastern borders of the duchy. It’s 650 mt.long and about 25 mt. wide, with the road to 9 mt. above the river; that’s why, it is commonly called “Ponte Lungo”. Completed in 1395, after only two years of intensive work, it was connected to the Castle by two high walls and battlements built into a fortified complex called “Serraglio”, which extended for about 16 Km until Nogarole Rocca.