Please Also See:
The Prince Edward Theatre, named after the then Prince Of Wales, opened on the 3rd of April 1930 with a musical called ‘Rio Rita’ by Harry Tierney. The Theatre was designed by Edward A. Stone and built by Griggs & Son on a site which was formerly home to a one hundred year old business known as ‘The Emporium’ which was a large drapers shop. The Prince Edward Theatre was the first to be built in 1930 and the exterior was designed in the style of an Italian Palace, and the foyer; Art Deco. The auditorium was built on just two levels, Stalls and Dress Circle but could seat 1,650 in comfort. The Theatre was also equipped for showing films. The Theatre however was not a great success, Rio Rita’ closed after only 59 performances, and later productions such as ‘Nippy,’ which ran for just 137 performances, and ‘Fanfare’ which ran for only three weeks, were not received well, even the famous Josephine Baker failed to make much impression in her London Debut at the Theatre, and in 1935, after ‘Aladin’ closed, the Theatre was bought by new owners for £25,000 and turned into a cabaret restaurant. This new venture saw the stage converted into a Programme for ‘Latin Quarter’ at The London Casino in 1951.semi circular dance floor, the understage converted to Kitchens, and the auditorium altered so that the Dress Circle could be reached from the stalls by stairs, as is common in Theatre conversions today. The building reopened on the 2nd of April 1936 as The London Casino and was a great success.
The Theatre was ‘Dark’ for two years after the war began but in 1942 it became a ‘Forces Theatre’ and shows put on for Radio Broadcast were the regular fair, and very successful they were too.
The war over, in 1946 the building was converted back to a Theatre again with some structural alterations and became home to mostly Variety productions including, in 1951, Robert Nesbit’s ‘Latin Quarter’ and anual Christmas Pantomimes put on by Emile Littler, but in 1954 it was converted to a cinema, housing London’s first Cinerama screen, a giant curved screen of 64 feet, and was renamed The Casino Cinerama Theatre.
Nikon D60, tamron 10-24 mm lens @ 10 mm, f/5.6, 1/100, ISO 100, handheld, no flash.
single jpg file converted to 3 exposures in PS (-1, 0, 1).
tone mapped in Photomatix.