3 surviving crew members of RMS Titanic

Sanna Dullaway

Nynäshamn, Sweden

  • Available
  • Artist

Wall Art

Home Decor


Artist's Description

On Sunday April 14 in 1912 the Titanic collided with an iceberg and sunk in less than three hours. 1500 lives were lost, with almost half of them being crew members.

The following US Senate inquiry covered the ice warnings received, the inadequate numbers of lifeboats, the handling of the ship and its speed, Titanic’s distress calls, and the handling of the evacuation of the ship.

80 witnesses gave testimony and written sworn statements.

The man to the far left is Frederick Dent Ray, his full testimony is here https://www.titanicinquiry.org/USInq/AmInq09Ray... A summary from wiki:

“Aged 32, Ray boarded the RMS Titanic on April 10, 1912 as a first-class saloon steward for a monthly wage of £3 15c after being redirected from the ship RMS Olympic.

On Sunday 14, 1912 his shift ended in 9 pm and he went to room 3 on E-deck where he slept with 27 others. Awaken by the collision, he first thought it was a problem in the engine room, and began to drift back to sleep when 2 stewards arrived to tell people to prepare and go to the lifeboats.

After assisting recalcitrant passengers into Lifeboats 9 and 11, Mr. Ray boarded the half-full Lifeboat 13. As the boat was lowered into the water, a wrapped infant was tossed down to Ray, who caught the child and brought it to safety.

Ray survived the sinking and made it to the ship RMS Carpathia. He returned home to his wife, who was in North Wales for recuperation from ill health."

Ray lived to be 97 years old.

The man to the far right is William Burke, you can read his full testimony herehttps://www.titanicinquiry.org/USInq/AmInq09Bur... Excerpt:

“I assisted with No. 8 boat. I saw her lowered down, full of women, and I immediately passed down to the next boat, which was No. 10. As I got to No. 10 boat, the chief officer was there. I just heard him say, “How many seamen are in that boat?” The answer came back, “Two, sir.” He turned to some man standing there and said, “Is there any man here can pull an oar?” Nobody answered, but a man who seemed to me like a foreigner got close to him, and I didn’t hear what he said, but he simply pushed him aside, and he said “You are of no use to me.” I went to him and told him I could pull an oar but was not anxious to go unless he wanted me to go. He said, “Get right in there,” and he pushed me toward the boat, and I simply stepped in the boat and got in.

After I arrived in the boat the chief officer seemed to be joined by another officer, and they were shouting the decks, and as they came along they made room, cleared the men away, and passed the women along. Each one, as they were passed along, was put in the boat. I remained where I landed in the boat and helped to pass them in. There were also about three children passed in at the same time.

When there were no more women to be had around the deck the chief officer gave the order for the boat to be lowered. I might say that about the last woman that was about to be passed in slipped, and was about to fall between the ship and the boat when I caught her. I just saved her from falling. Her head passed toward the next deck below. A passenger caught her by the shoulders and forced me to leave go. It was my intention to pull her back in the boat. He would not let go of the woman, but pulled her right on the ship."

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait