St Mary’s church Chilham in Kent.
Canon EOS1000D 5 frame panorama shot in RAW processed using Topaz in Photoshop CS5
St. Mary’s Church was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. It is built on land once owned by an Anglo-Saxon called Sired who fought for King Harold at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. In King Stephen’s reign in 1153 the church belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of St. Bertin, at St. Omer in France and was associated with the Priory at Throwley, 5 miles from Chilham. Then from 1444 until 1539 it belonged to Syon Abbey at Isleworth, Middlesex. It is now part of the Rural Deanery of West Bridge in the Canterbury Diocese.
church tower The tower is 68 feet tall and has a magnificent view of the Downs, the beautiful Stour Valley, and even of the Bell Harry Tower of Canterbury Cathedral.
The clock was made in 1727 but only had the hour hand until 1790.
The fine peal of 8 bells weighs nearly 4 tons altogether. The vicarage was built in 1746 by the owner of the castle.