Grain Fort was one of a number of forts built to defend the Thames Estuary. It was built between 1861 and 1868 and consisted of a polygonal earthwork around a central semi-circular keep. There was an outer ditch with four caponiers and a second inner ditch between the earthwork and the keep defended by a further five caponiers. The main magazine was located beneath the keep with tunnels linking to the caponiers and the ammunition lift to the gun emplacements above. The fort was demolished in the 1960’s and the tunnels are almost sealed undergound and forgotten. The wooden drawbridges in the tunnels have rotted away leaving a 1.8m pit below and the remains of the iron framework. Noticable are the wheels that the ropes would have run over to haul the bridge up from inside.
Canon EOS1000D RAW processed using Topaz Adjust in Photoshop CS5