Burg

Runi-Gerardsen

Joined February 2019

  • Available
    Products
    28
  • Artist
    Notes

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor

Accessories

Stationery

Artist's Description

Haut-Koenigsbourg (Hohkönigsburg) castle, Alsace.

Around 1114, Frederick II the One-Eyed, duke of Swabia and Alsace, stole land to the abbay of Saint-Denis to build a castle on the Stauffenberg (“the mount of the chalice”). This castle was later renamed Kinzburg (Königsburg, “the castle of the king”) after the son of Frederick II, Frederick Barbarossa, became the Holy Roman Emperor.

The castle had an eventful life during the Middle-Ages, with frequent changes of owners and several sieges, but was finally razed after a siege in 1462. Rebuild as a powerful fortress a few years later, it was abandoned soon thereafter, but still saw a last siege in 1633. Totally obsolete at that time, it still resisted one month to the Swedes, who burned it finally.

It was rebuild by the emperor Wilhelm II in 1901 as a political demonstration that Alsace was and had always been German. This reconstruction was made by the architect Bodo Ebhardt, who tried to mix romanticism with historical credibility, something he managed to do rather well.

Here’s the dungeons from the North: defences are limited on this side, as the castle is already greatly protected by the height of the cliff where it sits.

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait