Freight Wagon

Terence Russell

Hillsboro, United States

  • Available
  • Artist
  • Artwork Comments 11

Cases & Skins

Wall Art

Home Decor



Artist's Description

A sign on the other side of this wagon says it was twice used in John Wayne movie. It sits on the Parade Ground of Ft. Stockton, Texas.

Ft. Stockton

Fort Stockton, constructed of adobe and named for Robert Field Stockton, was established by the United States Army on March 23, 1859, at Comanche Springs, which was within the site of the present city of Fort Stockton, for the protection of the mail service, travelers, and freighters. Comanche Springs was on the Comanche war trail into Mexico, the upper and lower San Antonio-El Paso-San Diego roads, the Butterfield Overland Mailqv route, and the San Antonio-Chihuahua Trail, and near the Pecos River-New Mexico road. Capt. Arthur T. Lee, commanding Company C, Eighth Infantry, on order of Col. Carlos A. Waite, who commanded all federal troops in Texas, abandoned the post in April 1861. On June 26 the post was reoccupied by Capt. Charles L. Pyron, in command of Company B, Second Regiment, Texas Mounted Rifles. It was abandoned by the Confederates in August 1862, after Gen. Henry H. Sibley’s defeat in New Mexico.

On July 21, 1867, Fort Stockton, in ruins after the Civil War, was reoccupied by Gen. Edward Hatch, who made it the headquarters for the Ninth United States Cavalry, a regiment of black troops. Hatch built a new post nearby at a cost of $82,000 on land the federal government neither owned nor had leased. Except for the stone guardhouse, the buildings had stone foundations, adobe walls, and dirt roofs. The troops quartered at the post were used for patrols, escorts, and scouts, largely against the Apaches. In 1882, after the Apaches had been defeated, the army began withdrawing the troops. The last contingent, a company of the Third Cavalry and two companies of the Sixteenth Infantry, commanded by Maj. George A. Purington, left on June 26-27, 1886.

By providing protection to travelers and settlers, a market for stockmen, irrigation farmers, and merchants, and employment for freighters, mechanics, and laborers, Fort Stockton promoted the establishment and development of a thriving community. Since their abandonment by the military, some of the officers’ quarters have been used continuously for residences. In 1936 the state erected a marker at the site of the fort on the grounds of the Pecos County Courthouse .

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Clayton W. Williams, Texas’ Last Frontier: Fort Stockton and the Trans-Pecos, 1861-1895 (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1982).

Ernest Wallace in The Handbook of Texas Online

Texas State Historical Marker in front of Fort Stockton Guard House

Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the civil war and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by Oxcart. The Guard House consisted of a room with arm and leg irons, a dungeon for solitary confinement, and quarters for guards. It was abandoned in 1886, Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.

HDR Data

Tripod, 3 RAW exposures +2 to -2, Photomatrix 3.2

Artwork Comments

  • SimplyScene
  • Terence Russell
  • Brenda Dow
  • Terence Russell
  • md19
  • Terence Russell
  • Detlef Becher
  • Terence Russell
  • CeePhotoArt
  • AliceDoodles
  • CeePhotoArt
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.