Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA.
The Princeton University Graduate College was dedicated on October 22, 1913. Designed by Ralph Adams Cram in close collaboration with the first dean of the Graduate School, Andrew Fleming West, this imposing group of connected Gothic buildings was the first residential college in America devoted solely to postgraduate liberal studies. (In Princeton usage, “Graduate College” refers to the residential and dining halls, “Graduate School” to the program of instruction.)
Situated on a hill half a mile from the main campus, the buildings of the College are unified by the random walls of brown and gray Princeton stone and slate roofs of green and blue. The ensemble consists of a lofty tower whose beauty of design has been compared with that of Oxford’s Magdalen tower (“by moonlight, a dream in silvery grays and whites,” Dean West wrote to President Wilson); a great dining hall with hammerhead beams, an organ, and stained glass; a refectory, a library, a lounge, gardens with ivies from abroad and in its wall architectural fragments from Oxford and Cambridge.
31 December 2010
Canon EOS Rebel Xsi