Lights of Portland
Number of views as of 8th May 2016 = 1300.
Portland Bill in the county of Dorset has long been regarded as one of the greatest navigational hazards along the south coast of England and has been the scene of many shipwrecks over the centuries.
Today the headland is dominated by the 41 metre high red and white structure of Portland’s main lighthouse. However, there are in fact 3 lighthouses to be seen close to the southern tip of the Isle of Portland (as pictured).
The first lighthouse at Portland was built in 1716. It was originally coal-fired and was one of a pair of ‘upper’ and ‘lower’ lights. In 1789, Trinity House commissioned a new ‘Lower Lighthouse’ to replace one of the originals.
Both lighthouses were replaced by new structures in 1869, but at the beginning of the 20th century, these were replaced by today’s main tower, which has been fully automated since 1996.
Date: 19th February 2012.