St Catherine’s Trilogy – Part 1
Number of views as of 18th April 2016 = 2900.
Known locally as the “Pepperpot”, St. Catherine’s Oratory is a mediaeval lighthouse on St. Catherine’s Hill on the southern coast of the Isle of Wight.
It was built by Walter de Godeton, Lord of Chale, as an act of penance for plundering wine from the shipwreck St. Marie of Bayonne in Chale Bay on April 20th, 1313 A.D.
The lighthouse is a stone structure 4 stories high, octagonal on the outside and four-sided on the inside.
Date: 29th October 2009.
Click here to see Part 2.