Tyneham Telephone Box
Number of views as of 7th January 2017 = 425.
The telephone box in the village of Tyneham, not far from Wareham in the County of Dorset, England.
Tyneham was commandeered by the UK military in December 1943, supposedly as a temporary measure to help the war effort. After the war, however, a compulsory purchase order was placed on the land and the villagers were not allowed back.
The village remains a part of the Lulworth firing ranges, but is open to the public most weekends.
Tyneham was not the only village to have met its demise in this way. A similar fate befell the village of Imber on Salisbury Plain and several villages in Norfolk.
The only saving grace is that the village has been largely untouched since being in the Army’s hands and although most of the buildings are now in ruins, it offers a glimpse of what life would have been like in this idyllic spot 70 years ago.
Date: 4th May 2014.