Fintry Estates Manor House

  • Available
    Products
    9
  • Artist
    Notes
  • Artwork Comments 2

Wall Art

Home Decor

Bags

Stationery

Artist's Description

This is A view of The Fintry Estates Manor House Built between 1910-1911 by Captain James Cameron Dunn-Waters (1874- 1939).
The Laird of Fintry was a man of contrasts. He was a frugal Scot but generous too. He revered tradition but was both innovative and inventive. Dunn-Waters was an aristocrat, but often dressed so casually he’d be mistaken for a tramp. He was a gracious host, passionate about his beliefs, and a stern but fair employer. He would accept nothing but the best in himself, his staff, or his projects.
Dunn-Waters was a younger son who unexpectedly inherited a fortune at the age of 22. Money allowed him to pursue his love of hunting all over the world, including Canada. In 1908 when he saw Shorts Point, he knew he’d found his dream. Within a year he’d bought the delta and renamed it Fintry, after his home in Scotland.
When he first settled in the Okanogan he hunted with a horse, hounds and horn, dressed in boots, breeches, cap and traditional red riding jacket. Later he preferred to rough it in the back country with pack horses, a guide and perhaps a friend or two.
In his thirty years at Fintry, Dunn-Waters molded the undeveloped delta into a productive farm and impressive estate. But his interests also stretched to broader horizons. He was a director of the C.P.R. and played strong roles in the B.C. Fruit Growers Association, the Armstrong Exhibition Organization, and curling clubs from Vernon to Vancouver.
Having no heirs Dunn-waters sold the Fintry Estate for one dollar to Fairbridge Farm Schools Society, a philanthropic organization that brought English orphans to Canada and taught them the art of farming.
Physically Dunn-Waters was a slight man but he cast a giant shadow across the valley he loved. It’s benefits are still felt.
Dunn-waters and his wife Alice originally built the Manor House between 1910-1911. Despite the isolation and the fact materials had to come by stern wheeler, they furnished the house with valuable antiques.They lived a life of sophistication and elegance,frequently entertaining British aristocrats.
In 1924 after 37 years of marriage, Alice died. Two months later while Dunn-Waters was in Vancouver, the house caught fire and burned down to it’s granite foundations. Only a few bits of furniture and the contents of his secret Scotch Whiskey cellar, escaped total destruction.
Dunn-Waters immediately rebuilt the house on the same foundations. He ordered more antiques from Great Britain, and with Catherine and George Stuart for company moved back to the Manor House that November.
When Dunn-Waters married his second wife Margaret, in 1931, the Stuarts moved to Burnside, the estate’s house at the mouth of Shorts Creek. The wing on the south side of the Manor House (with the leaded glass windows) was built to display his hunting trophies and the magnificent Kodiak Bear he shot in Alaska.
The house was just one story during Dunn-Waters time. Visitors are believed to have stayed in guest cottages on the Estate. Staff was housed in buildings all around the delta, from the waterfront to the (now burned) chalet by the second falls.

Artwork Comments

  • Charlene Aycock
  • Magnum1975
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.