The two brick buildings are the Headquarters and special freight facility of The Ironstone Pass Railroad Company. Completed in 1889, these blocky structures were the original main freight loading dock and warehouse.
When the railroad opened in 1892, this small transfer facility handled all freight and passengers at the River end of the line. It continued to serve as the sole facility until the railroad expanded its operations during 1922 to 1924, when the main freight and passenger operations were moved to a newer and larger facility.
Once the main railroad transfer operations were moved out, the buildings were re-fitted to accommodate the railroad headquarters. The loading docks and machinery were retained to handle the steady flow of “Special Freight Items”. The company uses a small fleet of special freight wagons to move these items to and from the great mining operations on the far side of the Ironstone Pass.