540 views as of 10 May 2012
Featured in Nature’s Reclamation, All That’s Archaeology and 200 – 499 VIEWS
Iron shed near the old Snowdown colliery in Kent.
Work commenced in 1908, and coal was first brought to the surface on November 19, 1912. The first shaft sunk hit water at 260 feet (79m) and 22 men were drowned. Snowdown was the deepest pit in Kent, reaching a depth of 3,083 feet (940m). The colliery was served by the Faversham to Dover railway, and a halt (Snowdown and Nonington) was provided. In 1945 the workforce was 1,876, with 1,523 being employed sub-surface and 353 above. The colliery closed in 1986 and the shafts were capped in 1988. A few ruinous buildings remain today.
Captured with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38