A view from the Pinnacles in Harlow, Essex, UK, looking towards the town centre, Autumn 2013.
Harlow is mostly a new town in the district of west Essex, UK. It borders Hertfordshire and occupies a large area of land on the left bank of the upper Stort Valley. Old Harlow is a village founded in the early medieval period, mostly comprising Victorian buildings along it’s high street. The new town was built after World War ll to ease overcrowding in London due to the devastation caused by The Blitz. It was a Phase 1 new town along with Basildon, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead after the New Towns Act of 1946. The master plan for Harlow was drawn up in 1947 by Sir Frederick Gibberd. The development included the market town of Harlow, now known as Old Harlow and the villages of Great Parndon, Latton, Tye Green, Potter Street, Churchgate Street, Little Parndon and Netteswell. The town was divided into neighbourhoods, each supporting their own shopping precincts, community facilities and pub.
Gibberd invited many leading post-war architects to help with the design, including Philip Powell, Hidalgo Moya, Leonard Manasseh, Michael Neylan, E C P Monson, Gerard Goalen, Maxwell Fry, Jane Drew, Graham Dawbarn, H.T. Cadbury-Brown and William Crabtree. Harlow has one of the most extensive cycle track networks in the country, connecting all areas of the town, to the town centre and industrial areas. The cycle network is composed mostly of the original old town roads.
The town’s authorities built Britain’s first pedestrian precinct, and first modern-style residential tower block, The Lawn, constructed in 1951 (now a Grade ll listed building). Gibberd’s tromp-l’oeil terrace in Orchard Croft and Dawbarn’s maisonette blocks at Pennymead are also notable, as is Michael Neylan’s pioneering development at Bishopsfield. The first neighbourhood, Mark Hall, is a conservation area.
Nikon D40X with Nikkor 55-200 zoom.
HDR created from one RAW file processed as three DNG files in Photomatix, adjustments in CS6 with some help from Topaz Filters.