This one of three Old Gatehouses set in the beautiful grounds of Bryanston School in Blandford,Dorset.
Bryanston School was founded in 1928 by J.G. Jeffreys, a young, innovative Australian schoolmaster who used his confidence and enthusiasm to gain support and finance for the school during a period of severe economic instability. There were just seven teachers and 23 boys of various ages in the first term, including Michael Phillips, father of Nicholas Phillips, Old Bryanstonian and Chairman of the Governors for 27 years until July 2008.
Jeffreys had paid £35,000 for Bryanston House and its 450 acres of immediate grounds, which he purchased from the 4th Lord Portman, son of the builder of the house, the 2nd Lord Portman. Modelled on the chateau at Menars in the Loire valley, the Norman Shaw-designed house – the biggest in Dorset and the last of the grand stately homes to be built in England – had been occupied by the Portman family for just 30 years at the time of its sale, death duties making it impossible for Lord Portman to hold on to his family estate
Canon EOS 550D DSLR Camera.
PP in picmonkey.
20 Favs Mar 2014
304 Views April 2014
Featured in Nov 2013
Top Ten Place in ‘November Avatar’Challenge for group Dec 2013