Morlaix, also called Ville de Bretagne, seaport town, Finistère département, Brittany région, western France, situated on the Dossen Estuary, a tidal inlet of the English Channel, northeast of Brest. Coins found in the vicinity suggest Roman occupation of the site (possibly Mons Relaxus). The counts of Léon held the lordship in the 12th century, but this was disputed by the dukes of Brittany. Morlaix was captured by the English in 1187 and 1522. It has several 15th–16th-century houses (notably Maison de la Reine Anne) and the 15th-century Gothic church of Saint-Melaine. The town is dominated by a two-storied railway viaduct.