melynda blosser

Morgantown, United States

i am a self taught photographer but always willing to learn / so please do not hesitate to let me know any thing you have on your mind...

ASPCA NEWS ALERT:FOR DOG OWNERS

HERE I S SOME INFO I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN IF YOU DON’T ALL READY KNOW

PET POISON ALERT: COCOA BEAN MULCH CAN BE TOXIC TO DOGS
Cocoa Bean MulchIf your dog likes to spend his summer grazing in your garden, his treat-seeking nose may lead him to one danger in particular: the sweet-smelling, but potentially harmful cocoa bean mulch. Made of cocoa bean shells and considered desirable for its eventual degradation into organic fertilizer, this gardener’s choice can be toxic to canines if eaten in large quantities—and some dogs have been known to eat amazing amounts!

In 2007, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) handled 26 cases of cocoa bean mulch ingestion—a third originating in California. “Dogs are attracted to the fertilizer’s sweet smell,” says Dr. Steven Hansen, ASPCA Veterinary Toxicologist and APCC Director, “but like chocolate, cocoa bean mulch can be too much for our canine companions.”

Ingestion of large amounts of cocoa bean mulch, which contains residual amounts of theobromine—a methylxanthine found in chocolate and known to be toxic to dogs—may cause a variety of clinical signs. These typically start with vomiting, diarrhea and elevated heart rate, and if large amounts are consumed, they may progress to hyperactivity, muscle tremors and possibly other more serious neurological signs.

Treatment includes administering medical-grade activated charcoal, bringing tremors under control, cardiac monitoring and preventing further exposure.

“One key point to remember is that some dogs, particularly those with indiscriminate eating habits, can be attracted to any organic matter,” says Dana Farbman, APCC Senior Manager, Professional Communications. “Therefore, if you have a dog with such eating habits, it’s important that you don’t leave him unsupervised or allow him into areas where such materials are being used.”

To avoid contact, pet parents should consider a nontoxic alternative, such as shredded pine, cedar or hemlock bark. These will keep your pooch—and your garden—healthy.

For more detailed information, please take a look at our Animal Poison Control Center online.

thank you
melynda (mel)

Journal Comments

  • mikrin
  • melynda blosser
  • Ushna Sardar
  • melynda blosser
  • LjMaxx
  • melynda blosser
  • Sally Omar
  • melynda blosser