Cockatoo island, Sydney Harbour
Cockatoo Island is the largest island in Sydney Harbour. In 1839 it was chosen as the site of a new penal establishment and convicts built prison barracks, a military guardhouse and official residences. The island was used for the colony’s ship repair and shipbuilding activities after the first dry dock was completed by convicts in 1857. It became Australia’s biggest shipbuilding and dockyard facility in the 20th century. The island’s maritime industrial activity ceased in 1992 but some of the workshops and equipment have been retained as an attraction.