Frederic Auguste Bartholdi (1834-1904) is best known for creating the Statue of Liberty. Bartholdi created this cast-iron “Fountain of Light and Water” for the 1876 Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. The fountain, cast in Paris by A. Durenne, weighs 30,440 pounds, stands 30 feet high, and has caryatid figures 11 feet in height. Bartholdi saw its combination of iron, gas light and water as symbolically appropriate for a modern city.
The fountain was purchased by the U.S. Congress for $6,000 at the suggestion of Frederick Law Olmsted, the famous landscape architect who designed the Capitol Grounds. It was moved to Washington, D.C., in 1877 and placed at the base of Capitol Hill on what used to be Botanic Garden grounds.
The gas lamps, lighted by battery in 1881, made the fountain a popular attraction at night. The lights surrounding the basin were added in 1886, and the round glass globes replaced the original gas fixtures when the fountain was completely electrified in 1915.
Nikon D7000 w/ 18-200mm lens @ f 9.0
PS cropped and converted to b/w