The Beardmore Building


Toronto, Canada

  • Available
  • Artist
  • Artwork Comments 2

Wall Art

Home Decor



Artist's Description

47 Front Street, Toronto is part of an urban composition made up of 45, 47 and 49 Front Street East, and is commonly known as the Beardmore Building. It is situated on the south side of Front Street East just west of Church Street. The three-and-a-half storey Second Empire building was constructed in 1872-3 according to the designs of Walter Strickland and is well known for its cast iron front elevation.
The facade of the building is protected by an Ontario Heritage Trust conservation easement. The property is also designated by the City of Toronto under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 429-78).
47 Front Street East is located within the Berczy Park district of the ‘St. Lawrence Neighbourhood’, also known as the ‘Old Town’, an area of Toronto that contains a number of significant heritage buildings, one of which is the Gooderham Building.
47 Front Street East is significant for its associations with the development of Toronto’s warehouse district, the local production of prefabricated cast iron and as a work of noted Toronto architect Walter Strickland. The present structure was built during a period of revitalization in the waterfront district. This occurred due to the filling in of the harbour in 1856, the installation of east-west rail lines on the landfill and the location of the new harbour two blocks south of the original. The increase in land area resulting from the harbour landfill permitted the construction of new warehouses such as 45-49 Front Street East, with rear lane access. Although earlier plans for the waterfront precinct had included an idyllic residential area with waterfront views and a pedestrian boardwalk, the proximity of the railroads, the harbour wharves and the increased industrial and commercial activity created a busy trade and warehouse district by 1871. Benjamin Homer Dixon commissioned architect Walter Strickland to design 45-49 Front Street East. Strickland would later go on to plan the second addition to Toronto’s Union Station. Dixon was also able to commission the neighbouring St. Lawrence Foundry owned by W. Hamilton and Son, to prefabricate and install the cast iron facade that Strickland specified for the warehouse.
The three-and-a-half-storey building is thought to be one of the few remaining structures in Ontario with a cast iron facade. The use of cast iron in building became popular in the 1850s and 1860s in American cities such as New York and Chicago and soon spread to Canada. It provided an economic alternative to carved stone, could be erected quickly and could support larger windows. Originally it was also thought to have been fireproof, although this was discounted after the Chicago fire of 1871. The cast iron facade in this example hides a basic warehouse of timber-frame construction with brick load-bearing walls. The Second Empire features include a slate mansard roof with a rounded dormer window that is centrally placed over the centre bay of three. The facade contains pairs of arched windows alternating with pilasters on the second and third levels and single, arched window and door openings at the street level.
The building sits on the site of an 1853 storehouse that was located on the original Town of York’s (Toronto) waterfront at Browne’s Wharf. The earlier foundations are largely intact beneath the basement of the present structure and artifacts representative of stored cargoes have been uncovered at the floor level of the Beardmore Building.
The proximity of the rail lines and the harbour ensured the continued need for storehouse facilities in the area until the early 1940s. The original design of the building, with its street level retail space, ensured that it would adapt well to the needs of the modern commercial district. The Beardmore Building and its neighbours on either side share similar Second Empire features and horizontal levels that create a picturesque row of aesthetically similar, heritage buildings.
Source: Conservation Easement Files, Ontario Heritage Trust

Toronto, Ontario Canada
Canon PowerShot G11
Focal length 9.784
Exposure 1/800
as is/unedited

All Products Tags

architecture history toronto canada

Artwork Comments

desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait
desktop tablet-landscape content-width tablet-portrait workstream-4-across phone-landscape phone-portrait

10% off

for joining the Redbubble mailing list

Receive exclusive deals and awesome artist news and content right to your inbox. Free for your convenience.