Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Assunção
(Our Lady of the Assumption)
Built on the site of the old Jewish quarter on the initiative of two pious sisters born in Beja, work on the church and monastery continued from 1528 until the 1560s. The building was completed by Queen Catarina (1507 – 1578) and is a major example of early Renaissance art in the Algarve. The church door has pilasters with figurative decoration.
The cloister is on two storeys, with foursets of arcades and decorative gargoyles in the shape of animals. The decoration on the church dome is rococo (18th century).
There is an interesting lookout tower (16th century).
The museum houses a major collection, particularly from the Roman period – from when the “Ocean mosaic” dates, as well as carved stones found in Faro bearing inscriptions that refer to Ossonoba, and busts of emperors from the ruins at Milreu – as well as a valuable collection of religious art.
Canon 5D mkii Canon 17-40mm F4L USM