People who take the ferry from Nova Scotia to Prince Edward Island (both Canadian provinces) pass by this lighthouse at Caribou Point, on the tip of Caribou Island. This is the third lighthouse to be constructed on the point. The first was in 1868 and the second in 1916, because of erosion of the shoreline from the pounding of ocean waves. This one was constructed around 1971, and hopefully will remain in place!
The light is operated by the Canadian Coast Guard. The grounds are open to visitors but not the lighthouse itself. It was automated in 1990.
July 26, 2007
Sony DSCF828 camera, self-timer!
Featured in The World As We See It or as we missed it
Featured in Islands, Islands, Islands