Penrith Castle was built between 1399 and 1470 as a defense against Scottish raids.
Following the death of Richard, 2nd Earl of Salisbury in 1471, the castle was granted to Richard, Duke of Gloucester (1452-1485), who later became King Richard III.
Richard held the position of Sheriff of Cumberland and resided at the castle for periods between 1471 and 1485, a new gatehouse and tower were constructed at this time. After Richard became king the castle remained Crown property but was not used again as a permanent residence.
Surveys from the mid 16th century describe the castle as partly decayed.
After brief use during the Civil War in 1648 as the headquarters for the parliamentarian John Lambert, the castle was further dismantled.
The castle ruins are under the care of English Heritage.
Penrith, Cumbria, Uk.