Along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in Grand Canyon National Park, a building called Hopi House can be found. Built in 1905 as concessioner facilities at the South Rim were being developed, it is the first of eight projects at the Grand Canyon that were designed by architect Mary Colter, along with Bright Angel Lodge, Hermit’s Rest, Lookout Studio, Phantom Ranch, Desert View Watchtower, Colter Hall and Victor Hall. Hopi House was built by the Fred Harvey Company as a market for Native American crafts, made by artisans on the site. The Hopi, as the historic inhabitants of the area, were chosen as the featured artisans, and the building was designed to closely resemble a traditional Hopi pueblo. Hopi House opened on January 1, 1905, shortly before the El Tovar Hotel, located just to the west opened.
The Hopi House is a stepped structure built with sandstone with roof surfaces functioning as terraces in the same manner as traditional Hopi dwellings. Windows are small and sparse, with doorways on the same small scale. Interior walls are plastered with adobe, while ceilings are composed of saplings, twigs and grass covered with mud. Fireplaces are located in the corners of rooms and stairs to the second floor are decorated with murals by an unknown Hopi artist. The second floor houses a shrine showing various Hopi religious artifacts and the third floor is an apartment for the building’s manager. Most of the original furnishings in the main level were picked out by Colter. -Wikki
Photograph copyright Jon Burch Photography
For other sizes and finishes, please see JonBurchPhotography.com