Canon EOS 350D Canon lens 24mm, 1/30sec, F/3,5, ISO-1600
As Is photo made August 14, 2009 at the Fair in Hoorn, The Netherlands, Europe
Fun at the Fair in The Ferris Wheel and the StarFlyer at night.
History of the Ferris Wheel
The Ferris wheel is named after George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr., graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, bridge-builder. He began his career in the railroad industry and then pursued an interest in bridge building. Ferris understood the growing need for structural steel and founded G.W.G. Ferris & Co. in Pittsburgh, a firm that tested and inspected metals for railroads and bridge builders.
Ferris designed and built the Chicago Wheel for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Illinois. The wheel was intended as a rival to the Eiffel Tower, the centerpiece of the 1889 Paris Exposition. It was the largest attraction at the Columbian Exposition, with a height of 80 metres (260 ft), and was powered by two steam engines. There were 36 cars, accommodating 60 people each (40 seated, 20 standing), giving a total capacity of 2,160. It took 20 minutes for the wheel to make two revolutions, the first to make six stops to allow passengers to exit and enter; the 2nd, a single non-stop revolution, and for that, the ticket holder paid 50 cents. When the Exposition ended, the wheel was moved to north side, next to an exclusive neighborhood. William D. Boyce filed an unsuccessful Circuit Court action against the owners of the wheel, to have it moved. It was then used at the St. Louis 1904 World’s Fair and eventually destroyed by controlled demolition in 1906. At 70 tons, its axle was the largest steel forging of the time. It was 26 stories tall, only a quarter of the Eiffel Tower’s height.