This table is from the Hill End Hospital which now serves as the Visitors Centre.
It was on New Years Day 1873, on a barren hillside overlooking Hill End, that Bernard Holtermann wielded the trowel that laid the foundation stone of the local district hospital. Other trowels followed, and within just three months the building that survives to this day was open for business.
Built of locally made sandstock bricks, the hospital served the community for over 50 years until its closure at the outset of the Great Depression. In common with many buildings of its time, the hospital’s kitchen/laundry area was located separate to the main building to contain the fire risk. Less usual however was the inclusion of mortuary facilities into this outhouse. The expansive Tasmanian blue gum now growing beside the kitchen block marks the former location of the hospital’s pit toilets.
Nikon D700 50mm f1.4
ISO 1250 f1.4 @50mm 1/500th sec