Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Locomotive 2141 is one of group of 25 engines (numbered 2130 to 2154) built by the Canadian Locomotive Company in Kingston, Ontario for the Canadian Northern Railway (later Canadian National). Her classification is “Light Consolidation” because of her 2-8-0 wheel configuration. She is “light axle loading” – 114 tons in working order. Her official class is M-3-d. She is the only survivor of this type. She has 57” drivers, 23” x 25” cylinders, and her boiler is rated at 180 psi. She has a haulage rating of 35%, which means she can pull 30 loaded old-time cars, or about 9 loaded modern coal cars. The engine weighs about 190,000 lb. (95 tons) and originally burned coal. She was converted to burn oil in 1948. The tender carries 6,000 gallons of water and 3,000 gallons of fuel. When working hard, 2141 can go about 50 miles between water fill-ups and 125 miles before needing more fuel.
From 1913 – 1919 she carried passengers between Calgary and Saskatoon for the Canadian Northern Railway. From 1918 – 1948 she carried a mix of freight and passengers in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta for the Canadian National Railway. From 1948 – 1950 she operated with freight in BC near Smithers. In 1950 she was moved to Vancouver Island to finish her working days hauling logs and other freight between Victoria, the sawmill at Youbou, and Cowichan Bay. Her last trip was July 4, 1958 from Cowichan Bay to Victoria; subsequently she was replaced by a diesel locomotive. She was then slated for demolition, as were most of the steam locomotives of the day.