San Francisco de Asís Mission Church, c. 1772, is one of the best known and most photographed churches in New Mexico. The Spanish Colonial adobe building has twin bell towers and an arched portal entrance that overlooks an enclosed courtyard. Also known as “Ranchos Church,” this sanctuary was built in the late 1700s and was made famous by Georgia O’Keeffe and Ansel Adams, among many other artists who became fascinated by its looming buttresses. The San Francisco de Asis Church is still an integral part of its community. Surrounding the church are shops, galleries, trading posts, and restaurants – all housed in old adobe buildings as well.
All images are copyright © Lucinda Walter. The materials contained may not be reproduced, copied, edited, published, transmitted or downloaded in any way, shape or form. All rights are reserved. Copying, altering, displaying or redistribution of any of these images without written permission from the Artist is strictly prohibited.