On the edge of a high cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Chebucto Head lighthouse is a main beacon guiding ships into the harbour of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
The first lighthouse at Chebucto Head was built in 1872 with a steam foghorn just below it. It was replaced by a second tower in 1928. This tower was demolished in 1940 and a new lighthouse and combined keeper’s dwelling was built several hundred metres to the north to make way for a gun battery. In 1967 the light was moved from the house to the a new concrete tower which still stands today. The house remained the keeper’s dwelling until the light was destaffed in the 1990s.
During World War II, Halifax Harbour was the primary fast convoy departure and arrival point in eastern North America. The Royal Canadian Artillery operated a searchlight and coastal gun battery at Chebucto Head as part of “Fortress Halifax” as a means of providing an integrated defense for the port. The Chebucto Head battery was the key outer battery of the Western side of harbour defending it from possible attacks by Nazi U-boats or surface raiders. The fortified battery was armed with three Elswick 6 inch naval guns with associated searchlight, director tower, generators, a long-range optical rangefinder and by 1943 a radar artillery control unit. The battery was decommissioned in the early 1950s but many bunkers remain, now privately owned.
Sony DSCF828 camera