|Small Greeting Card||Large Greeting Card||Postcard|
|4" x 6"||5" x 7.5"||4" x 6"|
Courtesy of Wikipedia:
Devil’s Island is located on the northeast entrance of Halifax Harbour off the coast of the Halifax Regional Municipality near the community of Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia, Canada. The name originated from an early French merchant and was first spelled Deville’s Island. The first permanent settlement on this 12 hectare island was established in 1830, and by 1850 there were three houses and a school. By 1901 the settlement had grown to 18 houses. A number of Devil’s Island residents, notably Ben Henneberry, provided valuable folklore to pioneering Canadian folklorist Helen Creighton. Most of the residents were moved to the mainland during World War II. The last permanent resident, a Norwegian artist, moved off in 2000.
A lighthouse built in 1877, replacing an earlier tower built in 1852, is still in operation today. The island was also the base for a rescue lifeboat until the 1950s which saved the crews of many vessels stranded on the shoals approaching Halifax Harbour.
Taken Oct. 27, 2006
Sony DSCF828 camera