this small seaside town of Chipiona is located about 15mins north of Rota, very close to the mouth of the Guadalquiver River. It’s known for its beaches and moscatel wine, and also for farming and flowers. Located in the part of Chipiona named Punta del Perro, the faro stands 62 meters and first work to build the light tower started in 1863 and was completed in 1867 with its first lamp lighting. this light tower has the distinction of not only providing a navigation aid to mariners but also to aircraft as a 20-light tower system in Spain providing a beacon to both ships and aircraft! Since 1998 the light tower has been open for tours so contact them in advance on when the tours are available!
Canon EOS 7D sporting a EFS 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens
featured 16 Jan 2012 in All About Lighthouses