Macau: A reflection of the Ruins of St. Paul’s.
(810 views as of 14/02/2014)
The Ruins of St. Paul’s refers to the Cathedral of Mater Dei built by the Jesuits from 1602-1640, and next to it, the College of St. Paul’s. The facade of the church was carved (1620-1627) by local artisans and by Japanese artisans, Christians in exile. After the Jesuits were expelled from Macau by the Portuguese in 1762, the army took over the cathedral and the college. In 1835, both were destroyed in a fire.
From 1990-1995, the government of Macao did a lot of work excavating the site and creating a museum on site The facade was in danger of toppling over and has been buttressed with concrete and steel while preserving its aesthetic integrity. The Ruins of St. Paul’s is, arguably, Macau’s most famous landmark.
St. Paul’s is part of the Historic Center of Macau, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Featured in Windows with a Romantic Flair, 2/2012.; Historic Sites, 23/09/2014.
Top 10 Winner in the Windows or Doors with Flowers Challenge in the Windows and Doors Group, 09/2012.