in Live and Let Live 24-11-2012
in Lighthouses & Ocean Structures 16-01-2013
in Australian Coastal Towns 25-05-2013
Camera: Canon EOS 400D, Lens: @ 20mm, ISO: 100, Aperture: f8, Shutter, 1/125
Taken very early in the morning at Point Lonsdale in Victoria, Australia. A vigil is kept by the still manned Point Lonsdale Lighthouse over the narrow entrance to Port Phillip Bay. The Rip, as it is known, is one of the most notorious entrances to any bay in the world. Point Lonsdale received a signal station in 1852 to help ships negotiate its dangerous waters. Four years later, a red pillar beacon was built to warn of Lonsdale Rock. A wooden lighthouse from Shortland Bluff was then dismantled and re-erected at Point Lonsdale in 1863. The present lighthouse was built in 1902, but the earlier wooden lighthouse was not cut up for firewood until 1912. In 1915 the light passed from the Victorian State Government to Commonwealth control. It was handed back in 1934 and classified as a harbour entrance light rather than a “Coastal Highway Light”. The base was altered in 1950 to provide an observation and shipping control room.