in Highland and Islands 08-09-2013
in International Women’s Photography 08-09-2013
in The Scots Are Coming 16-09-2013
in the Highlands and Islands Photographers – Your Favourite Challenge 27-01-2014
in the Highlands and Islands Photography – Avatar Challenge 19-10-2013
Camera: Canon EOS 50D, Lens: @ 30m, ISO: 100, Aperture: f4.5, Shutter: 1/320
Taken at Inverary, a Royal Burgh in Argyll and Bute, Scotland. It is on the western shore of Loch Fyne, near its head, and on the A83 road. This view was taken from the A83 road looking over towards the Inverary Pier. The larger boat is the Arctic Penguin, a 3 masted schooner built in 1911, which houses the Inverary Maritime Heritage Museum exhibits. The Clyde Puffer ‘Eilean Eisdeal’ is moored alongside the museum. The pier was begun in 1784, when £8 sterling was collected from the inhabitants of the Burgh of Inveraray for a Quay. In 1758 representation was made to the Provost of the Burgh by James Porter, a mason, that it was determined that for every cubical foot of the facing there must be paid at the rate of one shilling sterling for cutting stone in the quarry, shipping, unloading, dressing and building, the Town Council always furnishing the lime or fog. The proposal was laid before the Duke of Argyll and His Grace allowed £30 towards making a pier. In 1758, the Town Council borrowed £13 sterling for a new quay. The work went ahead, plans were made, stones were quarried, timber was fetched. But the sea was merciless. In 1760, 1763 and 1764, the quay was in need of repair. As the work went on, the Town Council became more ambitious and in 1765, an addition was made to the quay in height and length at a cost of £26 stg. The cruel sea continued to undo the work of man and in 1771, the Magistrates and Town Council resolved that it be repaired and further heightened to prevent the overflow of the water.